Sunday, April 14, 2024

Three people were taken into custody, and authorities are searching for another person connected to the shooting at a bus stop in Philadelphia. The incident resulted in injuries to high school students

Must read

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Three folks got caught and one more is being searched for due to a shooting last week that hurt eight high schoolers waiting at a bus stop in Northeast Philadelphia, as per authorities.

The injured students, aged 15 to 17, were at the bus stop just before 3 p.m. on March 6 when three individuals got out of a car, walked up to them, and fired at least 30 times before running away, according to Philadelphia Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel.

Authorities found suspects using evidence including two stolen vehicles, said Deputy Commissioner Frank Vanore during a news conference on Monday. Jamaal Tucker, 18, surrendered, and Ahnile Buggs, also 18, was arrested over the weekend. Both are being held on a $16 million bail, said Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner on Wednesday.

US marshals and Philadelphia police captured a third suspect, Jermahd Carter, 19, on Tuesday afternoon in Northeast Philadelphia, authorities announced Tuesday night. Carter’s bail was set at $4 million, as per the district attorney.

“With the arrest of Jermahd Carter, we are now seeking one more suspect,” said Robert Clark, a supervisory deputy US marshal, in a news release Tuesday. “We have asked this suspect’s family for a surrender by tomorrow morning and if this does not occur, we are prepared to aggressively pursue him with every investigative resource available.”

On Wednesday, the Marshals’ office identified the fourth suspect as Asir Boone, 17, and said the deadline for him to turn himself in had passed. A $5,000 reward is being offered for information leading to his arrest, officials said.

A spokesperson for the Defender Association of Philadelphia had no comment about its client Tucker when reached by CNN. An attorney listed on court documents for Buggs did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.

The case has raised concerns about safety on public transit and for the city’s students. Across the nation, firearms remain the No. 1 killer of children and teens, while 74 mass shootings have been recorded in the first 73 days of this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which tallies those in which four people, not including shooters, are hit by gunfire.

The eight victims shot March 6 include two 15-year-olds, five 16-year-olds and a 17-year-old, said Philadelphia police, with one 16-year-old shot nine times.

Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker also addressed residents’ concerns about using public transit. “I hear you,” she said on Monday. “We want you to know that we are unapologetic about engaging every partner available to assist us in these efforts during these very tough times.” She added the city was focusing on “prevention, intervention and enforcement” to address public safety.

Authorities at Monday’s news conference encouraged witnesses or people with information about the March 6 shooting to share any knowledge with police.

Philadelphia District Attorney Lawrence Krasner has said Tucker and Buggs are facing charges related to each of the eight victims. They include criminal attempt to murder, aggravated assault, firearms charges, possession of an instrument of crime, simple assault and reckless endangerment of another person.

“These defendants are potentially facing an enormous amount of time in custody,” Krasner said. “When you have eight different cases where you have engaged in atrocious violence, that is to be expected.”

Carter was wanted on suspicion of attempted murder, firearms violations and related charges, the US Marshals Service said in a news release Tuesday night.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article